Manassas Park is an independent jurisdiction in Northern Virginia, approximately 30 miles southwest of Washington, DC. The city borders Prince William County and the City of Manassas. Manassas Park offers citizens an established community along with the prospects of significant future residential and commercial development. The desirable living features such as neighborliness and community pride in a small, progressive city environment add to the city’s charm
General Statement of Job
The City of Manassas Park is accepting applications for the position of Accountant with the Finance Department. The essential function of the position is to perform accounting and reporting, monthly reviews of cash / account analysis, reconciliations and making recommendations for process improvement as necessary. The position is accountable for the accurate and timely reconciliations of balance sheet accounts on a monthly basis, as well as timely research, resolution and adjustments to reconciled accounts. This position works under the general and direct supervision of the Director of Finance within established policies, procedures, guidelines, and timelines. May perform ancillary reception duties for City business.
All positions at the City of Manassas Park require a customer service mindset, in accordance with the Customer Service related focus of the City.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
1. Maintains and performs monthly cash and account analysis, reconciliations and verifications.
2. Generates and maintains final monthly financial statements.
3. Performs due diligence and reviews balance sheet accounts for any unusual balances.
4. Identifies, researches, logs, documents, and works with the Director of Finance to resolve any financial issues.
5. Assists with the coordination of the annual audit and preparation of PBCs (Prepared by Clients Schedules)
6. Maintains general ledgers for all funds.
7. Performs accounting and reporting functions as assigned.
8. Serves as liaison for accounting and reporting questions; investigates and coordinates resolution.
9. Supports the preparation and maintenance of various financial reports, budget documents, reports and statements.
10. Ensures compliance with all established standards, policies and procedures as well as the City’s codes and ordinances.
11. Develops and maintains standards of operating procedures.
12. Performs other tasks as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
1. Compiles, examines, or evaluates data or information and recommends any necessary actions.
2. Thorough knowledge of governmental accounting and generally accepted accounting principles.
3. Possess excellent analytical, Excel and data management skills.
4. Assist with the coordination of year-end audit and compilation of comprehensive annual financial reporting.
5. Reviews and maintains general ledgers for governmental funds and enterprise funds.
6. Develop and document policies and procedures.
7. Supports accounting and budget schedule preparation and update.
8. Handles equipment or work aids involving moderate latitude for judgment regarding attainment of standard or in selecting appropriate items, such as computers; software programs, spreadsheets or custom applications; printers; complex copiers including scanners; keyboards; facsimile machines; and other similar equipment.
9. Thorough knowledge of modern office management practices, procedures and equipment as applied to the development of maintenance of the accounting system; ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with other employees, City officials, and external customers/agencies; ability to express ideas clearly, orally and in writing.
10. Requires some responsibility for safety and health of others and/or for occasional enforcement of the standards of public safety or health.
Minimum Training and Education
· Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, or an equivalent combination of education
· Valid Driver’s License
· Two years’ work experience involving account reconciliation and analysis, with a strong focus on governmental accounting, reporting and financial analysis.
The City of Manassas Park is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Manassas Park will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
1. Requires sedentary work involving standing or walking for brief periods, and some dexterity in operating office equipment.
2. The position requires normal visual acuity and field of vision, hearing, speaking, and color perception.
Authorized hiring range: $56,048.00- $72,863.00
If you are interested in becoming a member of our team, you must complete an application form and submit it to the City of Manassas Park, Human Resources Department, One Park Center Court, Manassas Park, VA 20111. (Resume accepted in lieu of application).
You may obtain an employment application by going to the following link:
To be considered for the current hiring process you must have your application submitted to the Human Resources Department by close of business February 8th, 2017.
The City of Manassas Park is committed to ensuring diversity in its workplace, and candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.