Manassas Park is an independent jurisdiction in Northern Virginia, approximately 30 miles southwest of Washington, DC. The city borders Prince William County and the City of Manassas. Manassas Park offers citizens an established community along with the prospects of significant future residential and commercial development. The desirable living features such as neighborliness and community pride in a small, progressive city environment add to the city’s charm.
The essential function of the position within the organization is to ensure and enforce safety regulations at pedestrian crossings. The position is responsible for directing and escorting pedestrians, primarily school students; communicating traffic rules and regulations to pedestrians and drivers; monitoring traffic flow; and reporting violations of traffic rules. The position works under general supervision according to some procedures; decides how and when to complete tasks.
All positions at the City of Manassas Park require a customer service mindset, in accordance with the Customer Service related focus of the city.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
· Directs or escorts pedestrians, primarily school students across streets, stopping traffic as necessary.
· Guides or controls vehicular or pedestrian traffic at such places as street railroad crossings and construction sites.
· Communicates traffic movement or warn of hazards, using signs, flags, lanterns, and hand signals.
· Informs drivers of detour routes through construction sites.
· Learns the location and purpose of street signs within assigned patrol areas.
· Monitors traffic flow to locate safe gaps through which pedestrians can cross streets.
· Discusses traffic control signs and markers at designed points.
· Records license numbers of vehicles disregarding traffic signals, and report infractions to appropriate authorities.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
· Collects, classifies, and formats data or information.
· Speaks with or signals to people to convey or exchange information.
· Requires minimum responsibility for only small quantities of low cost items or supplies where opportunities for achieving economies or preventing loss are negligible.
· Uses addition and subtraction such as making change.
· Reads simple sentences or instructions; write simple sentences; speaks simple sentences using basic grammar.
· Performs skilled work involving rules/systems with almost constant problem solving; requires normal attention with short periods of concentration for accurate results and occasional exposure to unusual pressure.
· Makes decisions with moderately serious impact – affects work unit and may affect other units or citizens.
· Handles equipment or work aids involving some latitude for judgment regarding attainment of standard or in selecting appropriate items.
· Requires considerable responsibility for the first-line supervision of the provision of continuous enforcement of the laws and standards of public health and safety.
Minimum Education and Training
· High school diploma or GED, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
· Vocational/technical training.
· One year of previous experience.
The City of Manassas Park is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Manassas Park will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
· Requires light to medium work involving standing or walking most of the time.
· The position is exposed to extreme heat/cold, wet or humid conditions, bright/dim lights, dust or pollen, intense noise levels, fumes or noxious odors, moving mechanical parts, and traffic.
· The position requires normal visual acuity and field of vision, hearing, speaking, color perception, and depth perception.
Rate of Pay: $13.85 per hour
If you are interested in becoming a member of our team, you must complete an application form and submit it to the: City of Manassas Park, Human Resources Department, One Park Center Court, Manassas Park, VA 20111 or fax/email: 703-335-1405 / email@example.com
The City of Manassas Park is committed to ensuring diversity in its workplace, and candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
You may obtain an employment application by going to the following link: http://cityofmanassaspark.us/about-manassas-park/city-departments/human-resources/application-forms-and-addendums.html