Manassas Park is an independent jurisdiction in Northern Virginia, approximately 30 miles southwest of Washington, DC. The city borders Prince William County and the City of Manassas. Manassas Park offers citizens an established community along with the prospects of significant future residential and commercial development. The desirable living features such as neighborliness and community pride in a small, progressive city environment add to the city’s charm.
General Statement of Job
The City of Manassas Park is accepting applications for the position of Budget Manager. The essential function of the position within the organization is to develop, lead and manage the implementation of the city’s annual budget and to perform ongoing budget monitoring and trends analysis. Provide support to the City Manager in reporting to City Council. Provide timely customer service and perform other duties as assigned.
All positions at the City of Manassas Park require a customer service mindset, in accordance with the Customer Service related focus of the City.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
1. Develop, lead and manage the implementation of the City’s annual budget with guidance and oversight from the CFO and City Manager.
2. Perform ongoing monitoring and trends analysis and provide staff support to the City Manager in his monthly budget and performance meetings with City Departments.
3. Provide leadership for coordinating city-wide budget performance.
4. Monitor organizational expenditures, revenues and proactively identify potential problem areas. Ensure that year-end expenditures do not exceed budget and identify revenue collection issues.
5. Respond to City Manager requests on a timely basis. Provide monthly updates and additional reports as required by the City Manager in reporting to City Council.
6. Oversee, manage and coordinate the ERP implementation in the Budget Office through meetings, demonstrations and training.
7. Oversee Grants Program for the City, coordinating grants research, development, and monitoring across the City.
8. Work with City Departments to develop and update the Asset Management Plan. Work with the Community Development Department to integrate the updated Asset Management Plans with the CIP.
9. Work with the Community Development Department to develop and implement the City’s CIP and Capital Budget.
10. Work with City Manager and CFO to develop and update a Debt Retirement Plan.
11. Perform other duties as assigned or required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
1. Knowledge of the theory, principles and practices of government budgeting, the laws and regulations governing the budgetary activities in the City of Manassas Park, or the ability to rapidly acquire such knowledge, the budget cycle and requirements of preparing the City’s annual budget document.
2. Clear understanding of principles and practices of organizational and financial management analysis and automated data management systems.
3. Ability to prepare charts, graphs and statistical tables to aid in the presentation and consideration of the budget and programs and the knowledge of grants management concepts, practices and guidelines.
4. Ability to establish effective relations with other employees, officials, the general public and the Federal, State and other grants agencies.
5. Ability to research and compile data, conduct analysis and make sound recommendations, communicate ideas effectively, analyze complex problems, assists with departmental requests based on established policies/practices.
6. Participate in the development and implementation of strategic and management plans, assist with studies and prepare reports on financial and administrative problems.
7. Assists with responses to information requests from the City Council, City Administration, client departments or the public.
8. Review and assess the impact of various purchasing and personnel forms in an appropriate manner.
9. Evaluate the benefits, costs, and overall impact to the budget of various proposals and solutions.
10. Establishes effective working relationships with diverse populations to include other employees, officials and the general public.
11. Ability to plan, assign, instruct, and supervise the work of others and resolve work-related problems.
12. Presentation, analytical, excellent oral and written communication, research, project, interpersonal and organizational skills.
Minimum Education and Training
- Requires any combination of education and experience equivalent to a Master’s degree in Public Administration, Public Policy, Public or Private Financial Management, Accounting or a related field.
- Requires 4 years of experience in budget, management analysis or other related work experience. Combined Private Sector and Public Sector Financial Management experience is a plus.
The City of Manassas Park is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Manassas Park will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
1. Requires sedentary work involving standing or walking for brief periods exerting up to 10 pounds of force on a regular basis and some dexterity in operating machine, tools, or office equipment.
2. The position is exposed to no unusual environmental hazards.
3. The position requires normal visual acuity and field of vision, hearing, speaking, color perception, depth perception, and texture perception.
Authorized hiring range: $75,000.00 - $100,000.00
If you are interested in becoming a member of our team, you must complete an application form and submit it to the City of Manassas Park, Human Resources Department, One Park Center Court, Manassas Park, VA 20111. (Resume accepted in lieu of application).
You may obtain an employment application by going to the following link:
To be considered for the current hiring process you must have your application submitted to the Human Resources Department by Friday, November 17, 2017 close of business.
The City of Manassas Park is committed to ensuring diversity in its workplace, and candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.