Manassas Park is an independent jurisdiction in Northern Virginia, approximately 30 miles southwest of Washington, DC. The city borders Prince William County and the City of Manassas. Manassas Park offers citizens an established community along with the prospects of significant future residential and commercial development. The desirable living features such as neighborliness and community pride in a small, progressive city environment add to the city’s charm.
The City of Manassas Park is accepting applications for the position of Software IT Project Manager (Part Time). The essential function of the position within the organization is to act as the IT Software Project Manager in support of the City Manager’s office for all approved Statements of Work, simple projects, integrations, and implementations for the City of Manassas Park. This position reports to the Assistant to City Manager-Administration in communicating status updates, vendor performance, and other implementation related issues.
The position will become familiar with and be able to articulate the municipality’s process work flows and operational data structures and be able to support efforts to improve these business processes to ensure proper data and requirements capture, mapping, integrity, and utilization of the City’s software platforms and applications.
This includes supporting the planning, development, and implementation of projects from initiation to closeout using PMI and other industry best practices and standards in the development and maintenance of project management plans and supporting documentation. Through continuous communications, formally and informally, this position ensures that each IT project delivers business value and remains on target during the project life-cycle.
All positions at the City of Manassas Park require a customer service mindset, in accordance with the Customer Service related focus of the City.
Specific Roles and Responsibilities
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
· Supports a Statement of Work IT project portfolio of newly approved software infrastructure and/or technology solutions projects.
· Works with business areas to prioritize IT work requests using standard project methodology.
· Analyzes staff capacity and demand for IT solutions resources then consults with the Assistant to City Manager-Administration to determine allocations for all IT work (projects and operations) and maintains a schedule horizon of nine months.
· Accountable for the management of Business Subject Matter Experts (SME) and IT project resources to document existing processes, research best practices, and propose future processes in the spirit of continuous improvement. Identifies ways to resolve scope, schedule, budget, and quality issues.
· Defines strategy for work/project, manages the elicitation of businesses, technical and service requirements based on business needs and gaps to ensure successful solution design and transition.
· Applies project methodology to include planning, organizing, monitoring, managing budget, project closure activities, and enforcing best practices.
· Works with the IT Department Head to assure City data is protected, stored, and recordable in forms required by the software systems and related applications.
· Perform additional duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
· Knowledge of modern principles and techniques of systems analysis, design, and programming.
· Knowledge of information technology standards and best practices, including a structured and object oriented analysis.
· Knowledge of the principles and procedures of modern business office procedures.
· Knowledge of information technology software, hardware, and network communication technology.
· Knowledge of various computer platforms functioning in centralized distributed, client server, cloud and stand-alone environments.
· Knowledge of statistical information gathering/reporting.
· Knowledge of technical writing and documentation of systems, routine charts and graphs.
· Knowledge of entry-level modeling and structured analysis to ensure solutions are efficient, cost-effective and financially feasible.
· Skill in researching, developing, and designing routine information systems.
· Skill in reading and writing routine technical documentation.
· Skill in routine problem solving as it relates to applications programs.
· Skill in developing and maintaining interpersonal relationships.
· Skill in effective communication, both oral and written.
· Ability to maintain effective working relationships with other municipal employees.
· Ability to complete the resolution of problem notices within given time frames, making management and the user aware of any needed time extension.
· Ability to clearly and effectively prepare and present oral and written reports.
· Ability to prepare routine charts and graphs.
· Ability to work within established deadlines.
· Ability to receive and execute routine oral and written instructions.
· Ability to implement advanced strategies for gathering data requirements.
· Ability to translate technical terminology in terms understandable to business analysts.
Minimum Education and Training
· Requires a Bachelor’s Degree in an Information Technology related field plus five (5) to seven (7) years of professional IT experience; OR any combination of education (above the high school level) and/or professional progressive IT experience equivalent to eight (8) years in fields utilizing the required knowledge, skills, and abilities in systems analysis, design and implementation of IT business applications; and associated with such positions as Systems Analyst, Systems Business Analyst, or Programmer Analyst.
· Certified PMP/Project Management Experience preferred.
· Experience working with IT Work/Project Portfolio Management Tools (MS Project, BaseCamp, MS Vizio).
· Must possess and maintain a valid Virginia driver’s license.
The City of Manassas Park is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Manassas Park will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
- Requires sedentary work involving standing or waling for brief periods exerting up to 10 pounds of force on a regular basis and some dexterity in operating machines, tools, or office equipment.
- The position is exposed to no unusual environment hazards.
- The position requires normal visual acuity and field of vision, hearing, speaking, color perception, depth perception, and texture perception.
Authorized hiring range: $35 - $45 per hour
If you are interested in becoming a member of our team, you must complete an application form and submit it to the City of Manassas Park, Human Resources Department, One Park Center Court, Manassas Park, VA 20111 or fax/email: 703-335-1405 / email@example.com
You may obtain an employment application by going to the following link:
To be considered for the current hiring process you must have your application submitted to the Human Resources Department by Friday, October 9, 2020 close of business.
The City of Manassas Park is committed to ensuring diversity in its workplace, and candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.