CITY OF MANASSAS PARK JOB OPPORTUNITY
Manassas Park is an independent jurisdiction in Northern Virginia, approximately 30 miles southwest of Washington, DC. The city borders Prince William County and the City of Manassas. Manassas Park offers citizens an established community along with the prospects of significant future residential and commercial development. The desirable living features such as neighborliness and community pride in a small, progressive city environment add to the city’s charm.
The City of Manassas Park Public Works Department is currently accepting applications for the position of a Community Development Permit Technician. The Permit Technician serves in the Department of Community Development with the primary responsibility of coordinating with permit applicants to ensure that necessary documents are completed, submitted and reviewed for the various types of permits issued by the Department of Community Development. The Permit Technician also serves as an initial point of contact for inquiries about permits, inspections, fees, and regulations pertaining to Community Development.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES: The Permit Technician works directly with citizens, contractors, developers, and registered design professionals to ensure that required documentation is completed and submitted in accordance with established regulations, policies, and procedures. The Permit Technician coordinates documentation between plan reviewers, inspectors, and administrative staff in order to provide consolidated feedback and direction to applicants.
Reviews permit applications for basic completeness and accuracy, and ensures that submitted plans meet basic submission criteria.
Serves a key customer service role, including providing answers to questions on policy, procedure, requirements, scheduling, etc.
Performs data entry and recordkeeping for the Department of Community Development, and maintains accurate records of submissions and communications.
Calculates and collects fees for certain types of new and existing permits and ensures that permit applicants and holders are charged in accordance with established fee schedules.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Basic knowledge of construction and development, including the permit application process
- Professional customer service and communication skills
- Office, data entry, document production, and recordkeeping skills
- Ability to understand and translate departmental policies and procedures to applicants and the general public
- Ability to review construction documents and permit applications for basic completeness and adherence to requirements
- Ability to efficiently and effectively coordinate the submission and review of documents between applicants, Community Development staff, other City Departments, and other professionals
- Ability to calculate fees, and manage receipts
- Ability to communicate effectively in Spanish (i.e. verbally, written form)
Minimum Qualification Requirements
- High School diploma, with trade certification or associate's degree preferred
- Construction management, office administration, or permitting experience
Authorized Hiring Range $36,490 - $41,600
If you are interested in becoming a member of our team, you must complete an application form and submit it to the: City of Manassas Park, Human Resources Department, One Park Center Court, Manassas Park, VA 20111 or fax/email: 703-335-1405 /
The City of Manassas Park is committed to ensuring diversity in its workplace, and candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
You may obtain an employment application by going to the following link: http://www.cityofmanassaspark.us/about-manassas-park/city-departments/human-resources/application-forms-and-addendums.html
To be considered for the current hiring process you must have your application submitted to the Human Resources Department no later than close of business on Monday, November 30, 2020.