Position: Recreation Leader: Teen Division
Location: City of Manassas Park Community Center
Application Accepted Until: Filled
Grade: 1(PR Scale) Hourly Wage: $9.00 - $10.00 DOE
The City of Manassas Park, Department of Parks and Recreation seeks a Recreation Leader who will provide recreational program support while adhering to City of Manassas Park employment standards. Work is performed under the general direction of the Office for Teens Specialist.
General Job Information
Definition of Position: The Recreation Leader serves as general recreation programming staff responsible for administration of the day-to-day activities of the Department of Parks and Recreation. Applicant will be tasked with implementing the established plans, policies, goals and objectives pertaining to the implementation of ongoing recreational program offerings.
- Implementation of recreational programs
- Assist in the set up and break down of activities
- Provide classroom/class management
- Assist in the organization and implementation of activities and programs offered
- Assist in student management, preparing program materials and supplies.
- Supervise activities and communicate with participants, parents and staff regarding appropriate behavior.
Required Qualifications (minimum):
- Education: must be at least 18 years of age
- Driving: Clean driving record
- Physical: The ability to frequently lift 50 lbs.; energy levels sufficient to actively work in a fast-paced, energetic environment on a year-round basis, as required.
- Experience: Recreational program experience preferred; or any equivalent combing of education, training or experience which provides:
- Experience in parks and recreation programs/classes/courses/instruction.
- Ability to interpret and explain Parks and Recreation policies, rules, and procedures to employees.
- Ability to deal effectively with the general public, private vendors, and other employees.
- Possession of or ability to obtain drivers license; must maintain license with safe driving.
- Availability to work additional hours during peak operation season that will include evenings and weekends.
- Must have demonstrated writing and speaking skills with the ability to establish and maintain appropriate working relationships with elected and appointed officials, other governmental agencies, corporate and other private sector representatives and members of the general public.
- Prior experience with teen populations is helpful.
- Applicant shall provide positive role modeling of social skills and communication skills for youth ages12-18.
- Ability to do the following: relate to youth; understand age levels & abilities of youth; take initiative; suggest creative programs; promote fair play; assist kids in organizing games/activities; and possess good communication skills.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with lead teen staff, parents & community center staff.
- Ability to pass background check
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES ARE DESIGNED TO BE THE “ESSENTIAL” ELEMENTS OF THE JOB. THEY DO NOT PRECLUDE THE PERFORMANCE OF RELATED, OR EVEN UNRELATED JOBS THAT MAY BE NECESSARY TO PROPERLY AND EFFICIENTLY COMPLETE ALL WORK ASSISNGMENTS. MPPR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO AMMEND JOB SPECIFICATION TO MEET CURRENT NEEDS.