During the planning stages, If your proposed deck location is near or above any utility equipment (i.e. electric/gas meter etc.) it is recommended that you contact the utility companies to obtain the required clearances from their equipment not following their requirements may result in a serious hazardous condition, the removal of part or all of your deck or the expense to have utility equipment relocated at your expense. It is also required that you have all underground utilities located and marked before excavation.
- Zoning approval, Provide 2 copies of the House Location Survey Plat with the proposed deck drawn to scale on the survey, this should be located in the paperwork you were provided at closing settlement.
- Provide 2 sets of plans on a minimum of 8.5” X 11” paper drawn to scale with the owners name, address, lot number and subdivision on the plan. Plans need to include top, side and cross sectional elevations (views of the proposed deck).
- Plans also need to show the minimum structural details in accordance with the city's deck detail.
Once a permit is issued it must be displayed were it will be visible from the front of your property.
- Footing inspection, prior to placement of concrete.**
- Framing inspection (required if the deck will be below 4’ from grade)
- Final Inspection
Inspection results will be left at the property for your review or results can be obtained by contacting the Department of Building Inspections.
Inspections are performed Monday through Friday 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM. Call (703)-335-8815 or (703)-335-8818 to schedule an inspection. A 24-hour notice is required; please have your permit number available when calling, Inspections will be scheduled for the following business day.
**Miss utility is a service provided to mark all underground utilities, Call “Miss utility” a minimum of 48 hours prior to excavating or digging to have your underground utilities marked The number is 800-552-7001 or for more information visit their website at http://www.missutilityofvirginia.com/
If you should have any questions, please contact the Department of Building Inspections at 703-335-8815, Monday through Friday from 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM or by e-mail at email@example.com